Thread: Factory colours
View Single Post
Old 30-12-04, 01:36
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cletrac
The main purpose of this thread was to see if any of the trucks were painted o-d from the factory (with o-d interior). From what I can see your HUP was likely all khaki from the factory and the military repainted it.
Yes, they were. During the latter part of WW2 Olive Drab SCC15 (not U.S. OD) was the basic colour applied by the manufacturer. Of course parts could be any colour, but when they left the factory vehicles by that time were sprayed Olive Drab SCC15 over all.
There was no inconsistency nor ignoring of regulations, though I confess research is lacking in areas. For example, possibly some contracts demanded a different basic colour. Also, after the shift to Brown SCC2, possibly vehicles for use in Canada were painted in left-over stocks of Khaki Green G3. And exactly when was the shift between colours made?

For reference, I have quoted the descriptions of Khaki Green G3 and Olive Drab SCC15 from Mike Starmer's and Mike Cooper's excellent articles on AFV Camouflage (see MAFVA Resources Page - these are the best researched resources on this subject available!):
Quote:
Middle Bronze Green 23 a.ka. Khaki Green G3/"Service Colour". In use: 1938-43, gloss until 1939. Usual base tone until replaced in 1942 with SCC2. Description: In its gloss form this is a dark rich yellow-green.

SCC15 Olive Drab. In use: May 1944-45 as standard overall tone. Description: Olive Drab - fresh olive drab - a very dark drab with showing quite a bit of green. Unlike US No.9 OD (very dark drab when new with a green hint, fading brown or grey in use) this fades green.