Thread: Factory colours
View Single Post
Old 20-10-06, 03:44
David Pope

Hanno, the link to the desert stuff doesn't work, but I seem to be answering my own questions. I found this quote in a search for desert camouflage as well as the colour chart. The light stone is quite a bit different from Dirk's colour chips that he posted on the forum though so I wonder about the others.:

1940 - 1941 - By mid to late 1940 many newly arrived vehicles and tanks appear to be painted a plain overall colour, BS. 52 Pale Cream is cited for the 6 RTR new A9 cruisers, whilst the more normal colours seem to have been Light Stone No.61 or Portland Stone No.64. However in November 1940 a new scheme was specified in G.O 297. This scheme comprised the tricoloured disruptive designs now known as ‘Caunter Scheme’. Very many AFVs and softskins carried this scheme of Portland Stone No.64 basic with Silver Grey No. 28 and Slate No.34 or Khaki Green No. 3 in angular disruptive stripes. Period G.Os specify Light Stone No.61 or Portland Stone No.64 at various times and a local variation substituted a mixed light blue-grey for Silver Grey No. 28. A scheme for use in the Sudan specified Light Stone No.61 with Light Purple Brown No.49 in patches or stripes.
February 1941 - G.O 63 calls for a single basic colour of Light Stone 61 with up to two disruptive colours applied over. These colours are specified as Slate 34 and Silver Grey 28 still in the angular disruptive stripes as before and cancelled GO 370 of 1939. This remained the predominant
scheme during 1941.
Attached Images