View Single Post
Old 29-10-10, 02:12
warren brown

Thanks Dave. I remember trying to remove the steering wheel from my scout car - identical to the one above from what I can see - and it had seized on terribly. The bakolite on mine was nowhere near as good as yours Keith and no matter how carefully I tried to get it free - it just disintegrated in my hands, piece by piece until there was only a rusty, wire skeleton of the steering wheel - still seized on. Enter - the hacksaw. Then I tried to find a replacement steering wheel - not so easy. From what I understood - Scout Cars only ever had three spoke steering wheels - some in bakolite and some in painted steel. There were four-spokers in bakolite around - (I can't remember what they were from, perhaps Studebaker?) - and for a make-do effort I got hold of a four-spoker in the style of a weapons carrier's which I'm pretty sure was from a Studey. Eventually, the wonderful Richard Farrant (g'day Richard!) located a steel three-spoker in the UK - ex-Greek army with some Greek lettering scratched into the rim. (The old lady next door is Greek and I've been tempted to get her to translate it - but Gawd knows what it says. She might belt me...)
Ford GPW