View Single Post
Old 10-11-04, 10:44
MLU Administrator

Default Re: color

Quote:
Originally posted by Erwin
Well, that seems logical. But how can we explain the yellow color found all over the vehicle as basic color?
First color is yellow (Light Stone?), second something like OD, then a civil green (exterior), grey (interior).

That would mean the British trucks were painted yellow even when delivered after the North African campaign, and then changed to green in an in-theater workshop (like in the story in one of the recent Classic Military Vehicle magazines).
Erwin,

The paint applied by the manufacturer was considered the basic colour on top of which the Army would apply the camouflage disruptive colour. Originally, all vehicles going to the European Theatre of Operations ar were painted Khaki Green G3 (BS381c No.23 Middle Bronze Green) and those going to the Middle East No.61 Light Stone (both British Standard formulas). Later Khaki Green G3 was changed Standard Camouflage Colour (SCC) 2 (yes, that famous rich brown colour) and eventually to SCC15 Olive Drab (ref. paint schemes for CMP trucks).
Now, Light Stone 61 was the basic tone in Middle East 1938-42, so any vehicle slated for delivery to the Middle East got a base coat of Light Stone at the factory. By the time it was shipped and received at the other end of the Atlantic, the final destination might well have changed, or the camouflage schemes used could have changed - read more about these changes in Mike Starmer's articles and books.

My Ford F15A was built in January 1943 and was also painted Light Stone at the factory, by which point in time it was no longer a basic colour. So why was it painted that colour? Revised paint schemes had not yet reached Canadian factories or they simply used the paint stocks available?
My F15A could very well have never left the UK, where it was painted various colours of green (most likely Khaki Green and SCC 15). Now what colour should I repaint my truck in? Depends what I want to depict. Factory fresh? Light Stone. In service in NW Europe? SCC2 with SCC14 (black) "Mickey Mouse" camouflage pattern, for example.

Main thing is to pick a theatre and make sure your truck could have been there. My truck could have never been used in North Africa, but could have been in Sicily, Italy and NW Europe. Same is true for your truck, although it could have been used in the Middle East. This would tie in with the indications of it having had a roof hatch fitted.

Hanno