View Single Post
Old 30-04-18, 12:50

Thank You Lynn and Paul!

I’m particularly interested in MK II Mortar Carriers of the following ranges: T 222798 – T 223383, T 223384 – T 223983 and T 226038 – T 228466.

Perhaps all these ranges refer to British built Carriers . I know that vehicles of T 226038 – T 228466 were built by Wolseley. Should we consider that at this point the transition from MK I to MK II was nearly to completion and MK II Mortar Carriers were basically similar to MK II Universal Carriers? Maybe these vehicles showed the fixed gunner's seat?

If this is true, I came to the following conclusions after having examined some photos: like MK II Universals, all late production MK II Mortar Carriers had squared mudguards with steps, folding flap for the gunner’s slot, tow rope on the glacis, one single front headlamp but unlike MK II Universals, Mortar Carriers had two little marker lights directly fixed to the front armour, oil and fuel cans on the left side of rear deck (same holder as in MK I models), mortar baseplate on the opposite side of the deck, mortar bipod on rear deck, 3’’ mortar tube stowed on the rear plate in substitution of the large kit box.
It seems that metal tubings welded on top of side and rear plates of MK II Universals were not present on MK II Mortar Carriers.

Luigi