View Single Post
Old 26-01-24, 02:15
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Cab top

This is cab top from the C8 fitted with British Duple body . The 'speaking tube' fitment is still on the cab. When I first got this vehicle, the hand painted disruptive camo was still visible on the cab ... a very dark grey or black over the green. Interesting markings too: Z4544183 British nr. and AIF 6th div. formation sign. Later on the 1st Armoured formation sign was applied over the other sign. The vehicle is pictured in thread #10 in this post - it had been damaged in a prang , a bent chassis during it's life on a farm at Flowerdale. It was salvaged by John G from Yea who sold it to a VMVC member who lost interest so he sold it to me. I borrowed my father's 1968 Toyota Crown and hired a trailer.

The speaking tube was a short canvas tube to enable the driver to shout and communicate ? with the guys in the 8 cwt body. Interesting fact: the Canadian design for the 'speaking tube' for the C8 and F8, was a rectangular shaped canvas tube , it was fitted in the middle of the cab rear , where the glass was normally fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
speak1.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 26-01-24 at 02:47.