Thread: C8A 1C11
View Single Post
Old 10-11-05, 20:49
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Getting unhitched

I wonder if the tractor-type pin-style hitch was some sort of post-war "standard" army mod - but I would have thought the CMP pintle-on-a-leaf-spring would have been mounted on the HUP, if anything, as there are holes in the rear X-member which look like they would be for hitch mounting. I have never seen any reference or illustration to HUPs being set up to tow, comparable to their never having been set up with chassis winches.

You're probably right about the welder being paid by the stick - I went through two wheels cutting out what I did of the angle bar, and I still have to figure how to get into the corner to surgically remove that mass of welding. Too tight for the angle grinder, and I have a small cutoff that may not even fit, and is probably too light for the job.

Front bumper mounts - I think you have my pics of the ragged stumps - I essentially need all dimensions ahead of the end of the frame channel, to set the for-and-aft distance, plus location of holes. The crude plan is to grind off the rough edge of the casting, then weld some square plate of suitable thickness, then back-drilled for the bolt holes of the bumper.

It should be noted that the parts manual for the '45 staff car has different numbers listed for all the bumper and brush guard parts. I'm not sure what's different, but I'm guessing the hole locations might be a bit different, with the different mounts.

Frantisek's exteriors of the 1C11s really don't reveal much to my eye, which is why I'm hoping for photos of an intact mounting. (hint, hint)