Thread: C8A 1C11
View Single Post
Old 10-11-05, 21:26
Mr. HUP

Default Hitched, Mounted and Bumpers...

Mark,

One of the unfortunate consequences of having a bodged up hitch on my HUP is that my rear frame rail ends are not only twisted, but have been pinched inwards. One of the (many) previous owners towed something that was way heavier than the design or safety load. As a result, the pulling drew the ends inward.

The next step (one of many seemingly endless steps) for my HUP is to heat the ends, flatten the lips by hammer and dolly and then push out the ends. I was thinking of adding a CMP hitch but given the damage done previously, that requirement will probably be tossed out.

I will send photos and dimensions of the mounts later this weekend to your PM. As for the bumper/brush guard, yes, they are different from the other larger CMPs. The bumper and brush guard are narrower than others that I have seen, due I think, to the narrower frame and different bumper mounts.

One of the endearing qualities of the 45 HUP is it's unique part set and their lack of commonality with "normal" CMPs. Rear seats being one of the many examples - are you going to make up a set yourself, or have someone make up the lower legs etc...?

Now that the snow is flying, I'm glad that my HUP is under cover in its new shelter. Gone are the days of spending two hours digging her out, and then working on her while exposed to all of the elements. Progress is now measured in weeks vice quarter years...

I'm looking forward to more of your progress photos. Good luck with the restoration.