View Single Post
Old 12-11-17, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Bradshaw View Post
--Yes there is a third pedal down at the left beside the final drive and it is attached into the side of the center gearbox. I do not know what it does, it may have been a carry over from other design and do nothing or it may be a gear change lever. I will need to take a closer look when the weather is warm again.
You also mention cletrac steering with dual tillers, do you have some insight into what final drive assembly this is? A "normal" final drive (like a T16) doesn't have a transmission style shifter built into it with 5 gears and a reverse lever.....
This makes me wonder if the transmission is almost superfluous and the final drive can act as the transmission? Or it is geared in such a way as to allow massively low and high gearing (might be why the 5th gear is locked out with a bolt) 5th and 5th would be really fast. 1st and 1st would climb almost any hill with a load under tow. The reverse lever would act like a ferret and give you the same 5+5 in reverse....
Hi Jon,
The left pedal will be connected to the pre-selector gearbox by rods and operate a lever on the top side of the box, this works the busbar in order to engage a pre-selected gear. No different to a Ferret which you may be familiar with. The driver operated gear selector gate appears to only be mounted on the front steering/ forward and reverse casing and I can see the outside lever, this will in turn, by rods, operate the small lever on the side of the pre-select gearbox.

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor