View Single Post
Old 17-07-16, 11:17
Tony Baker

Default 25 pounder rule is on, and wheels finished.

Finally! The slide rule bag and associated hardware are permanently on the upper shield.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160717_132520-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	83446
The brackets turned out really well. I made em, but had a neighbour do the majority of welding. I did weld the bolts onto the backs myself, so I expect that bit has the tensile strength of plasticine.

Name:	20160717_134020-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	83447
I wish the paint was dry enough for me to make the correct length canvas straps. Tomorrow maybe.

Name:	20160717_163458-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	83448
Despite the constant threat of rain, the day held together long enough for me to paint the outsides of my wheels. They're a bugger of a thing to get good coverage under the five lugs around the lip. Had to narrow the fan pattern on the spray gun, and aim from beyond the opposite side of the wheel. It's a fine line between too dry and too thick application, but it's OK. Wish I could get the exact color in powder coat. Would have done thst instead of spraying.

Name:	20160717_163523-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	83450
P.S: It's still the same cheap spray gun I've been using from start of the CMP restoration. That was $30 or $40 well spent!

With the leftover mixed (and hardened) paint, I spent a lazy 2hrs brushing paint onto all the bolts on the shield and both axle stubs. The second of my wheel hubs/drums is now in place. I had to whittle down one of the brake shoes on that side, before it would go together. Sandblaster has put the thing down heavily on the edge of the shoe, at some point and it deformed the lining, making it sit up. Had to be very mindful that these are probably made with asbestos, so the linings were sprayed with hydrogen di-oxide and kept dripping wet through the whole procedure. That way there are no airborne fibres/fibers.

Name:	20160717_163512-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	83449

Tracking tells me my small group of parts from Canada have arrived in Sydney, as of Friday 15th. The package was sent in the afternoon of the 11th, so 4 days to Australia. I wonder how many days it will take to travel the last 1200km. I expect it will take longer than Canada post took ot get it to this side of the world. I'm gonna say.......about Thursday it gets to me!

Am planning to get tyres on my wheels during the week, all going well.

Another piece of exciting new, a kind friend is allowing me access to the brake actuating components from his own 25pr, and I will get those in next couple of weeks or so. The parts will get copied as close as I can. Guess I'll be making more templates! I do like my templates.