View Single Post
Old 07-05-11, 22:52
Bluebell

Default Hans

If your bearing is marked 1408, then the current number is 6408 (6000 series anular grooved metric bearing) The inner one of the adjustable bogie has a 50mm bore, the rest are all 40mm bore. Width (of all) =27mm O.D.=110mm.(all)
These bearings go into the wheel against a shoulder, with a spacer between the inner races. To knock them out, as has been described, support the wheel so that the components can fall onto rag , paper etc. Select a suitable punch, look inside the bearings, and push the spacer to one side. This gives you an edge of the inner race that you can hammer against. I find you can chase them out quite easily.
In the older ones there is a tin shield against the bearing. Further out is a seal carrier. this holds a seal (cork) which runs on a seal track. If you mark the spacer to the wheel, it will help you with the assembly. The axle which goes through each assembly locks the fork arms, seal tracks,bearing inner races, and the spacer, up as one assembly when the nut is tightened.
I have recently removed a few thrust type bearings from my early carrier.
They are R & M bearings, and marked "4HJT40" I have not seen them before.
There is a different seal assembly used in the MkIII carriers. It may be similar to your T16.( I have never seen a T16.)
Kevin Powes did a modification, so that he could use a much cheaper bearing. Check with him.
Note; This all relates to a Univesal carrier. You will have to measure up to check that yours is the same dimensions.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 07-05-11 at 22:58. Reason: Add the note