View Single Post
Old 04-01-21, 07:52
carrier mech

I have replaced individual leafs in springs of that era, as well as heated and tightened the eyes where the shackle bushings go into.

You kind of have two avenues. Take the pair of springs to a spring shop for re-arcing, or buy a replacement set of springs. New production springs will be a little more expensive than the re-arcing I suspect, but not by much.

A third option would be to open up both leaf packs, and mix the leafs. A couple of C clamps can help hold the packs together as you install the new center bolts.

How are the shackles themselves? The uneven position of the shackle could be a seized shackle bushing. You'll know when you go to remove them. Often though, a seized bushing results in a broken spring eye.

I had an M38A1 at work display some problems with the shackles. By the time it was all done, I had to replace one broken leaf, tighten two spring eyes, replace the threaded shackle sockets in two of the frame points, replaced all the shackles and bushings, and did the knuckle bearings and seals for good measure. The knuckle bearings really made a difference. Properly set up, the Jeep steers like it has power steering. If you can't remember the last time you did your knuckle bearings, then now is the time. Make sure to order the shim pack and use a fish scale to set the preloads.