View Single Post
Old 13-02-19, 04:02

Hi, Brian,
Yes, the coil that went bad was a 1115280. But it does not have the integral ballast resistor unit described in the description you gave, or any means of attaching that unit.
I have temporarily borrowed one of the coils off our Chaffee which looks identical except it has a 6 ohm ballast resistor and heat shield bolted to the bottom of the coil, which sounds like what the 1115280 should have had. Anyway, it's exactly what I need to get the primary current down to a reasonable level.

Just to confuse me, I noticed the Chaffee coil was a 115821. So I was a bit surprised to find the coil spec'd for the Chaffee is a 1115282.

As an aside, I was puzzled by these coils. Unlike every other coil I have tested, where the secondary coil grounds to the negative primary terminal, these coils ground to the case. While searching the 1115280 number, I found an old army bulletin explaining that Delco Remy grounded the secondary coil to the case in a few coils, including this one, because they figured it reduced radio interference. Live and learn.
Malcolm
PS if you have any Chaffee coils please email me.