View Single Post
Old 26-10-08, 16:38
Derek Heuring

Default Reenactors and authenticity.

For a sec Gentlemen, I thought I was reading posts to a Texas Reenactors forum. It appears the issue of authenticity straddles the globe. We in Texas have recently gone through a very divisive issue that threatened to split the Reenactor community in twain. The issue was facial hair on any reenactor in general and GebirgsJagers in particular. Despite many period photos to the contrary, the organizers of a popular annual event forbade the wearing of facial hair on any Axis reenactor. The 5th Gebirgs are one of Texas' largest German units and they boycotted the event along with many of their friends, myself included. The next annual event was a dismal failure, unfortunately. This display of solidarity convinced the organizers to relent and authenticity standards are now set by the Unit Commanders of the various reenactment groups. At a recent event I authorized my unit to cease shaving one week before the event in order to present the most authentic impression of the Canadian fighting soldier a la the picture taken on Aug. 11, 1943 of Sgt. H.E. Cooper of the 48th Highlanders of Canada. We looked great! No spit and polish during a hard fought battle and I dared any REMF to complain. No one did.
I feel the important thing in all this is missed. We should be doing this to honour the veterans and to keep the memory of their sacrifice alive for future generations. That is my overarching purpose when I go to reenactments. Not every reenactor's impression is perfect as it is extremely difficult to both know and then acquire what is correct. Counting eyelets in Ammo boots doesn't accomplish a thing (the reenactor's equivalent of picking fly shit out of pepper) and only serves to alienate people. Do I dishonour Vets by taking a No4 MkII to the field inplace of a No4 MkI? No, of course not but some Stitch Nazi might try to exclude someone who did. So Gilles, I applaud your friend's desire to join the reenactor community, tell him "Bonne chance!" from me.
The soap box is now available.