Thread: How To: C15a Wire-3 restoration
View Single Post
Old 30-11-19, 00:41
GM Fox I

A question Jordan, what do you mean "catching the top of the big gear in the transmission"? It looks like you have the transmission tower on and no gears would be exposed to catch. Was the lack of clearance getting the transmission tower (assuming it was not removed) under the cab crossmember that is at the back of the engine cover? I expect probably so as this cross member has been cut on a good number of Chev CMP's. Of course the other way to do it is install the engine without the transmission (nothing to catch and lighter) then install the transmission from underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
The brass ring on that shaft was all cleaned up. New wire down the tube. Testing was done with the ohm meter. The horn button was pressed and the wheel turned full rotation. All is good.

Yes when I cleaned it up I checked out the arm. It was fine.

And now for more good news........

THE ENGINE IS IN....

All went reasonably well. I had some initial issues with balancing the weight of the engine. It fell off the stand and thankfully the hoist took the weight. The biggest issue I had was clearance between the cab frame and transmission. The frame was catching the top of the big gear in the transmission. I ended up using my floor jack to lift the cab frame up on one side. I then put in a metal spacer between the front cab mounts. Then I repeated on the other side. This still wasn’t enough. So I used the floor javk and some wood cribbing and jacked up the rear part of the frame. This gave the transmission the extra 1/8” it needed and it slid into position. All in all it went well after I had some supper.
I’ve got a few things to sort out but I’m happy I hit this milestone.