View Single Post
Old 05-01-21, 02:02

Default SCREWS, Clamping No. C2 ZA/CAN 4363

While I was looking for the correct primer for zinc and galvanized metal, I also realized I will soon need a bottle of Gun Blue for this project, so a bottle is now on order from Cabala’s. More on that when the time comes.

All three sets of Screws, Clamping No. C2, used on the Sender tuning drive assemblies are in tough shape and I am running low on my supply of NOS originals. That brought me to cleaning the set for the Frequency MC Dial and replating them to see how they would turn out. That was todays project.

The attached photos show the original condition of the Screws, Clamping from the Sender, what they looked like once cleaned up and the wire support system I put together to suspend the four of them in the zinc plating bath so all of them were not touching anything. The challenge was there are no easy holes in these items to hang them in the solution from.

After thinking about it for a while, I realized another key point in plating these Screws was to avoid getting the threads on the end plated with additional metal. I solved that problem by suspending the Screws from the threaded ends by wrapping a 2 inch lead of 14 ga stranded copper wire around the threads, placing two Screws on each wire, one end handing higher than the other A small centre section of insulation on the wires was cleaned off to provide continuity with the heavier copper support attached to the Cathode of the plating jar. One hour later they were done.

The last photo shows the Sender Screws along the bottom after plating and drying out, with a set of NOS original Screws above them.

David
Attached Thumbnails
SCREWS, Clamping No. C2 ZA:CAN 4363 1.JPG   SCREWS, Clamping No. C2 ZA:CAN 4363 2.JPG   SCREWS, Clamping No. C2 ZA:CAN 4363 3.JPG   SCREWS, Clamping No. C2 ZA:CAN 4363 4.JPG