Thread: Ferret CFR List
View Single Post
Old 16-11-10, 04:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gilmore View Post
I have just gotten some info on a friend of mine's CDN Ferret Mk-1 and the data does not jive with what has been posted.

He gave me the following:

Date plate information: 412.B.6.4 (412th Ferret made, June 1954)

Hull number: 54-82606

War Department Number: 36BA86 (from Bovington Tank Museum records)

-----------------

Now this is different from what was posted.....

From Canadian Army records:

Year Number HUIC Holding Unit ERN ERN Description

1954 82606* 0109* CFB CALGARY 30541* CAR ARM FERRET FV701MK1

1954 82606* 36BA80 LDSH

---------------------

From British contract records

36BA86 Hull No 412

36BA80 Hull No 406

----------------------------------------

Note that the Canadian records show the vehicle as 36BA80 with the Canadian number as 54-82606.

There is no 36BA86 listed as a CDN Ferret.

Can anyone sort out the differences here?

Also, is the data plate number ..... 412.B.6.4 ......show the date of manufacture or date of delivery ?

What does the B mean?

According to contract data it was built in 1951.

Interesting.......

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA.
Hi Jim,

I can't say for certain as i don't have a copy of the Canadian Ferret vehicle history sheets but the discrepancy may be as simple as a typo. The sheets were often completed by hand so information entered on them can be difficult to decipher, especially when someone has corrected information. 8 and 6 can appear similar when quickly written or when read off a stamping.

Attached is a sample of the Canadian Army RCEME vehicle history sheet for Centurion Mk.V 53-81182. Notice that the "serial" number has been changed from 12 BA 86 or 88 to 12 BA 89L. It is of note that the Canadian Centurion listings contain a number of errors and corrections. The Canadian Army seem to have had a hard time deciding when to use 52, 53 or 54 prefixes to the CAR numbers (sometimes going back and forth a number of times for the same tank) and the "serial" is recorded using a mix of the British Army census number, the actual hull serial number or just completely omitted. Engine numbers are really hit and miss.

At least a few Canadian Centurions were marked in Europe with both the British Census numbers and the CAR number. Don Dingwall's book on the Centurion (p.17) shows Mk.V 53-81365 wearing the CAR on the right rear of the hull and 47 BA 86 on the left.

I know Colin visited Ottawa to pull Ferret files from LAC but a number of them are still closed and I don't know what they opened to him in the end. A quick search of the on-line catalouge shows "Manufacture, Procurement Production & Requirements - Tracked Vehicles - Tank Centurion" the file is dated 1953-1955 so it may contain some useful information.

File no. (creator)
S-7133-Tank Centurion
Textual records
32: Restricted by law
Box
3428 File Part 1
90: Open
Former archival reference no.
RG24-C-1-c
Other accession no.
1983-84/048 GAD

At least it is CLSN 90 so it may be easier to get at.

Sorry I don't have more specifically on the Ferret but I hope this is of some use.

J
Attached Thumbnails
53-81182.jpg