View Single Post
Old 26-12-04, 01:28
RIP

Default Finland?

In 1979 I met an US Senator in Stockholm. I am not telling his name because he is a friend. Anyhow we talked about the Soviets that invaded Afghanistan.

I told him of Finlands war 1939-40. He replied:

- When did Finland fight a war?

Later I mailed him a book so now he know about all the wars Finland fought and especially the four during the 20th century.

The Finnish-Soviet Winter War 30th November 1939 to 13th March 1940 is in my opinion the Greatest military achievement in WW 2.

A country with some 3 miljon inhabitants and 9 divisions for 105 days stood up against 200 miljon Russians and 120 divisions.

One of the architects behind this was General Rudolf Walden. He attended Finnish Military Academy 1892-1900 but did not stay in the Army. In 1918 he was running a factory. Mannerheim selected him as Chief of logistics despite his limited military background.

He became Mannerheimīs closest friend. For many years sucessful Minister of Defence. But he suffered a bad fate. First his two sons were KiA and then he got a stroke. He was not able to communicate although his mind was still clear.

A horrible fate for such a good man. He should not be forgotten.

Photo: As a MjGen 1939.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 29-12-04 at 12:30.