View Single Post
Old 08-02-18, 06:04

Help required

I am wanting to confirm the two colours used on M3 Grant tanks and other armoured and softskin vehicles whilst based at Mingenew, Western Australia 1943.

It appears that the vehicles, including the Grants, were painted this two tone camouflage scheme as shown in the photo below. I have 'colourized' the Grant to show what I believe are the two green colours.

I think the lighter green is standard Australian army lusterless Olive Drab and the darker green Khaki Green.

I have also included a photo of the 2-pounder Anti-tank Gun Carrier (Aust) on display at the Merredin Military Museum. As can be seen, the two colours look to be 'faded' Olive Drab and a darker green. As this is a Western Australian based Gun Carrier, it is very likely that these colours are the same as those seen on the Grant.

I have also included some advertisements that were placed in local Perth newspapers in 1947. Businesses that were selling ex army stock oil based paints to the public. One add tells us that the paint is manufactured by Berger. The other lists colour names. One being Khaki Green. I presume these are names printed on the cans of paint.

Were camouflage schemes and colours unique to Western Australia?

Any help with these two colours would be most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
On Parade.jpg   Camo Paint 2.jpg   IMGP7225.jpg   IMGP7225a.jpg   Camo Paint.jpg  

Last edited by Stuart Kirkham; 08-02-18 at 08:50.