View Single Post
Old 24-08-18, 03:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45jim View Post

The fact that the Sherman (like the M113) use a controlled differential where power from the braked track is applied to un-braked track requires slipping of the braked shoes over the drum for a smooth and controlled turn to occur. This idea that short applications of full or even partial brake followed by no brake is somehow easier on the brake linings is ridiculous. This jerky action creates stresses in the whole drive line that are just not necessary.

Im afraid I'm going to offend you here but I wonder if you understand how the "gear steering" in the Sherman or the M113 work? The brake being applied by each steering lever acts on a planetary gear set dedicated to driving the track on that side. It locks one of the three elements in the planetary gear set (the sun gear if I recall correctly) which reduces the gear ratio to that side and slows down the track. The differential, by nature of its design, speeds up the track on the other side and the turn happens. There is normally no need for brake slippage in this action. In fact, firm application of the steering lever to prevent slipping and overheating is best as Dave points out in his post.

Malcolm