Thread: C-15
View Single Post
Old 31-08-17, 12:29

Hello all, just an update on the rebidding of the NO1 Australian tray on mu C15.There was enough timber left to take fairly good measurements, although the species of timber has not been identified.
Several things became clear on closer inspection of the remains, the timber locker box is of a much higher construction standard than the tray with quite close tolerances , less than two millimeters where the framing for the POL cans is attached to the top of the box, similarly the clearance for the two doors are <2mm.The box is screwed together with slotted head screws . The tray I think was made by hand as the lengths of the boards vary in length by more than one eighth or 3mm.
It would have been very time consuming to make as each part is fitted into the tongues then bolted or in the case of the floor it is all nailed.Because the tray does not have a longitudinal runner along the chassis I believe it was never meant to be made separately and then transported to the assembly place, the only thing holding it all together when it is off the truck are the floor boards,I think it was built on the truck.
Attached is some of the work in progress, I have chosen the local hardwood(Jarrah) as I can mill it myself and it will last many years exposed to the weather without treatment.
Robert.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1233.jpg   DSC_1237.jpg   DSC_1249.jpg   DSC_1255.jpg   DSC_1238.jpg  

C15 1942
C15A 1942 (unrestored)
ACCO Mk3
ACCO Mk5
Ingersoll-Rand 100 type 40