Thread: Info needed: Building a repro LRDG 1940 Chev.
View Single Post
Old 15-02-19, 05:45

Default Building a repro LRDG 1940 Chev.

I have followed with great interest work done by Andrew and seen pictures of Rick Cove's truck and decided to take the plunge.

I have been sitting on a 1940 Chev 1 1/2 ton truck which is in bad shape so purist need not be concerned and am saving the best parts....also have two spare cabs and lots of CMP dodads. I plan on doing a reasonably accurate repro .... a fun machine that is safe and can be driven on the street......and label it as a repro.

Of particular interest is the model made by Rick as is it similar to mine. Not alone in the asylum as Philippe Jeanneau of Florida is also considering a similar conversion.

Philippe and I are trying to workout the axle issues and rims to be used.

Lots of information has been gleaned from searching the MLU forum and much info is available on the Canadian factory made LRDG based on the 1941_ 42 model but little on the earlier version using 38/39/40 models

I have a complete power train, extra cabs, extra axles, extra front fenders, spare 1 ton rolling frame and a spare freshly rebuilt 235 engine and a fully synchro SM 420 tranny. As I will be using only the front cowl sheet metal the body is fairly simple but would need the expertise of Andrew for the cargo box or go with wood.

What would greatly simplify the building is if we could find C15 or in a pinch a F15 ...... 4x2 front axles...... they are strong and can use regular CMP 16 in. rims. Any rolling chassis C15 / F15 out there??????

I am trying to figure out what size front axle, brakes, rims .... Rick used on his repro and what issues he had with the wheels. I know he found a set of Good Year All weather traction diamond tread 9.5 x 16 tires........ WHICH ARE STILL BEING MADE TODAY...... those are implement tires and I have a new set of Michelin 900 x 16 tires mounted ready to roll.

Not sure if this should not be under the Hammond barn... Hanno advice!!!!

.... the fun begins when the snow melts.......
Canada