Thread: Info needed: Building a repro LRDG 1940 Chev.
View Single Post
Old 27-02-19, 05:23

Default Pictures of the baby.....

Hi Bob.... Hi everyone....

Finally found a picture of the tubular axle....... tell me if that is the same.

The width of the axle...tracking width....according to reference manual matches other CMP tracks standardized at 70 to 71 inches..... and since I may have to use a CMP C15a rear axle to facilitate using existing CMP rims it may ntobe an issue.

If need be removing and re-fabricating the spring perches is not impossible.... in my days we torched them off and rewelded new one made from thick wall square tubing..... a lot will depend on how standard the 1940 frame width is?

Bigger issue raise by Tony....... the current axle has a 6 inch drop the ambulance axle is straight..... which would raise the nose unless I fabricate spacers for the rear axle......

Too early for that..... I need to get rid of the snow and get my hands dirty touching and measuring.

Still working on a wooden mock up adapter to allow using CMP rims with the existing 1940 axle........ but rather fascinated with the tubular axle.

Bob do you have one axle and possibly a second one???? will "parlez" a price or a donation to MLU upkeep on your behalf...... not sure I need to consider the Ford beam front axle at this point but will look them up in Grant's bibles-s-s-s-s.

Found a wheel fabricator, of all places Canada South of Montreal and not in California, who also has some interesting options for a modern any width and diam rim with a solid flat steel center drilled to the GM 10 bolts.

...and it gets complicated.... got a parts book for the 1940 Chevrolet and another for the Maple Leaf 1940....... and they show 4 different Beam axles and 4 different wheel/rim offset which creates a multitude of front axle width.

Bob....look for a PM.....

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Fordambulance frontaxle001rotrez.jpg  
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 27-02-19 at 05:46.