Thread: Info needed: M38A1 fording valves
View Single Post
Old 21-12-17, 23:46

Default M38A1 fording valves

On previous posts I asked for info on the oil burning issue I have had....about a liter of oil for every 300-400 kms....the engine has been rebuilt about 2000 kms ago... no visible blue smoke on start or driving, plugs show no fouling and only minor oil leaks at rear main and front crank seal. I also mentioned that both fording valves (at carb and side valve cover) are open....well, in fact, the top fording valve was actually closed! I decided to clean the valve and upon disassembly, found the valve closed....I cleaned everything and put everything back with the valve open (blew through it to see if it was open).
Question....could this have been one of the issues for the oil burning?

The lower fording valve was taken off a few months ago and cleaned. At that time I just reassembled it and replaced it onto the valve cover/fuel pump.....I have left the lever parallel to the piping assuming that this was the open position but I did not test it.....I do not want to take it off....can anyone send me a picture of the valve in the open position as at this point I am not sure.

Question.....if both valves were actually closed......could this have caused the excessive oil consumption?

Thanks in advance,

lesk