View Single Post
Old 23-08-10, 17:24
Alastair McMurray

Default Progress....

A spell of clear weather offered me the chance to further dismantle the front of the Loyd, you will see from the photos that there isn't much left at the farm now, at least from the front of the Carrier.
The torque tube and drive shaft within are in perfect condition, without any damage. Coupled to the back of the torque tube is a short propshaft which interfaces with the gearbox output shaft. This was in usable condition but the cover will need repair as it has three holes and the propshaft within has two impacts. These are part of it's history so they can stay without any issue with the shaft operation.

All of the nuts and bolts holding the rear of the torque tube coupling to the cross member were covered in grease so same off without any problem, most of the larger fastners holding on the front lower hull plate came undone surprisingly easly. It was the smaller ones that gave the most problems, so in the end they had to be cut with the little 4.5" angle grinder. While I was cutting I took off all the large bolts holding the rear chassis angle to the chassis, thus on the next visit we can lift out the engine & gearbox. That just leaves three axles to be removed and the chassis can to taken the two miles into Lincoln where it is to be repaired.
Attached Thumbnails
DriveShaft.jpg   Front_axle_removed.jpg  

Under Restoration:
1944 No2 MK2 Loyd Carrier - Tracked Towing
1944 Ford WOT6 Lorry

The Loyd on Facebook