View Single Post
Old 25-02-18, 13:33
carrier mech

There was a "6 pounder" sitting in front of 2PPCLI when it was in Winnipeg, When they moved to Shilo, it too came to Shilo, located in front of the HQ area of their complex. As it turned out, it was on loan from the RCA Museum.
They had a large anniversary in 2014 , and wanted to tow it behind one of three carriers at displays that summer that they were attending. The tires were well past their prime, and they asked if we could install new tires. I was not full time at the museum yet, so volunteered to bring the old tires home, remove and sandblast the rims, install new tires and re-install them. Next thing they wanted it painted up. I offered them a 20 footer (looks good from 20 feet away) so I recovered the gun and gave it a quick sandblast. It was then that I noticed the bore was closer to 40mm rather than the 57mm of a 6 pounder. Also, a 6 pounder muzzle break that I had picked up off MLU was way too large for the end of the barrel. Also, the forward barrel clamp was too large. Looking at the barrel, it almost looked hodge-podged.....something was a little off about the area where the barrel tapered.

Anyway, I queried Doug Knight here in Canada. and he pointed out that it was likely "David".

PPCLI did not want it back, and I had intended to use it for some parades and displays with the museum myself, but it was sent out to the golf course to full-fill a request by them for lawn ornaments.

I sent some photos of it to Harold Skaarup, who has some terrific pages showing all the monuments in Canada. You will find it on this page, although it will be somewhat confusing since it is shown on the page as a "David" 2pr, and just below that entry it is still shown as a 6pr.

http://silverhawkauthor.com/artiller...useum_423.html

According to Doug Knight, it had a barrel life of about 150 rounds. if I recall. He has a paragraph or two about it in one of the Service Publications booklets on the 2pr.
Attached Images

Last edited by rob love; 27-09-18 at 20:31.