View Single Post
Old 11-07-08, 15:12
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Burgess View Post
Thanks fo that information George. Now here's another "different" Dozer. from the website of 117 Combat Engineers http://www.baysweb.com/117th_combat_engineers.htm. I presume that's a "tree smasher" on the front - would it be a local modification or a standard fitting?
Also the blade appears to be V shaped but I supose that could be an illusion caused by the camera angle - what do you guys think?
Noel
Noel, you're correct in identifying the attachment as for pushing over trees. The horizontal bar jutting out in front of the dozer is a dead giveaway. Observe the same type bar on the LeTourneau Tree Crusher used to clear the valley that became Williston Lake after the W.A.C. Bennet dam was built in B.C. Coincidentally, that tree crusher was built not too far from where I presently live. Must have been quite a job transporting it to MacKenzie. Further, substantial overhead protection has been provided for falling limbs and "Widow Makers". Alex is quite correct in assuming the "V" shaped blade could be used for demining as "V" shaped mine ploughs are common on modern Engineer vehicles such as Canada's DAREOD but I have only seen one such blade on a WW II vehicle. I've included a pic of a Panther with a similar blade.

CHIMO! Derek.
Attached Images