View Single Post
Old 15-01-19, 23:18

Malcolm,

Have you compared the fuel systems between the M4A2s at the museum?

The description and diagram of the fuel system in the Canadian 1950 M4A2E8 Drivers Handbook is significantly different to the description in the US 1943 TM9-731B.

Unfortunately the Canadian diagram is very simple and doesn’t show how the “system of valves” works to return the spill from the side that it is withdrawn.

Is the balance tube that you describe actually the “fuel bypass line”?

Recently I have been attempting to understand the differences between early and late M4A2 systems and it appears that there were many changes during the war. The early manuals are relatively easy to obtain, but I have not yet seen a late manual which thoroughly describes the altered systems.

In 1994, Don Smith’s Sherman was driven approx 30km to Borden for the EME (now RCEME again) 50th parade. During that drive, it ran out of fuel. The left tanks had been partially filled to a level that was considered sufficient for the trip, and only the left fuel valve was on. Upon investigation, it was realized that the excess fuel had been dumping into the right tanks. This may have been due to a similar issue that you are trying to diagnose.

We’re both fuel valves on? Given the 1994 issue, I suspect that your left valve may have been off and that there might be something peculiar about the late fuel system.

All,

Does anyone have access to a late M4A2 manual which thoroughly describes the fuel system?

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
54B4E4BD-5743-4731-8FCD-0B77B212493E.jpg   1FA539A8-3F1F-466D-856B-714F62CCBC36.jpg