View Single Post
Old 03-12-05, 18:16
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Dummy Ammo Wanted

Quote:
Originally posted by 42mb
Hi Derek,

Sorry for the slow responce...My computer died and because of the hours I put in on "Smallville" I finally managed to pick up a new one last Sunday and I have spent this past week answering emails.

Hows life in your neck of the woods? You and your other half make it through the all the storms ok????

Thanks to Dave,Tony,Rob and Roger and you Derek...I must have been on drugs the morning I placed my "Dummy Ammo Wanted" Ad. I should have asked for....10-20 rounds of 303,plus 3-4 stripper clips. If the clips and cases are stamped with a date...1944, would be great....I'm also looking for 100-200 rounds of 30-06. I don't need any Enbloc clips for the 30-06 ,as i'm going to partly fill a belt for my dewatt 1919A4 and also finish filling a cartridge belt I have on a fully outfitted store manniquin,thats set up in my den. It would be great if the cases are stamped 1943....I know i'm asking for the moon....so any 30-06 will do the trick.

Derek...The last time we swaped emails,it was on a "Radio's only" message board...I lost it's address when my computer died... would you be so kind and pass it on?...I have a few radios for sale or swap...a restored and complete "by the book" BC-1000 and a PRC-9 that comes with all it's accessories,plus a web shoulder harness and manual. It also comes with a backpack,cartridge belt,canteen, first-aid pouch,bayonet and scabbard,folding shovel w/cover. Most of this belt rig stuff is dated 1950-1952,so it works with the 51 dated PRC-9. I am also looking for a few Radio parts...so I would think that "radio's only" message board,would be the place to go.

Thanks again to all.

Steve
Hey Steve, good to hear from you again. Life is good down here, today's forecast is for 80 degrees and clear skies...rain is but a distant memory! We didn't feel the effects of Katrina or Rita, fortunately we're far enough from the Gulf that any hurricane would lose it's strength by the time it got here.
About your dummy ammo. For display purposes I find the most realistic dummies are the made up ones. I take the ammo to the range, thereby giving you an excuse to go, fire it, then I simply clean it, neck size it only, not full length re-size it, and reload it just with bullets. You end up with a realistic round with only the dented primer to show otherwise. I don't even drill holes through the case. Of course, you need to check the rules and sensitivities of the jurisdiction where the cartridges are to be displayed. Kesselring's gun store in Burlington just south of the border on Old State Highway sells FMJ bullets for the 7.62X34 in bulk. They're very cheap and mike out at .3105" so they fit the .303's .311" bore quite nicely. I have about 50 rounds of live .303 ammo headstamped: R/|\L 1943 VII. I also have about 100 rounds of '06, most of which is pre-war and '34 dated. I have very few that are headstamped DEN 43, a few AP rounds with U 42, and a few tracer stamped TW 53. The '06 are in a disintegrating link belt and I have two WW II .30 cal. ammo cans. The .303 rounds are in Vickers cloth belts.
I'm on a new computer since the "Radios only" web site and I couldn't find any trace of that website on my hard drive anywhere. I'll try booting up my old CPU and see if I can find it
I was in the bidding on the 38 set that just sold on ebay, however with my CMP sucking up all my spare money I had to drop out at $350.00. It went for over $500.00. There's a 19 set for sale right now that I'm watching.
Y'all be good and stay in touch! Derek. CHIMO!