View Single Post
Old 04-06-15, 03:38
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Mike

Now for the big test how does the new bearing / seal work in the truck. Please keep us posted on the road test.

With all the comments on replacing and rebuilding water pumps on Chevy CMPs I have been hesitant to mention that my HUP still has it's original water pump. The truck will be 70 years old in 4 days. Life of water pumps probably are most effected by the coolant used. Straight water being the worst, ethanol glycol seeming to be the best.

I didn't want to jinx it and have it fail, my other two 216 engines did get new water pumps, which were available off the shelf from regular auto parts sources. The replacement engines the 261 and 235 both have the 216 style water pump. In both cases this required pushing the pulleys off to replace them with correct diameter and width. Each time had my fingers crossed that the bearing and seals would survive.

Now to anyone who has relubricate an old bearing how has it worked in the long haul? How many miles or years have they gone? Do they leak or get noisy first?

Cheers Phil
hi Phil

I have seen the pump kit for the 235 conversion, I think the 235 engine is slightly longer than a 216 and the fan can be too close to the radiator in some vehicles .

I did a similar mod to what I have done to the 216 pump , in a Series 1 Land Rover some years ago, the Rover is still running fine, no leaks at all. The technology in modern seals these days is far better than the older style seals ever were.

The 216 engines did change in 1941 . I believe all of the CMP engines were basically a 1940 engine with dome pistons .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad