Thread: How To: C15a Wire-3 restoration
View Single Post
Old 05-05-19, 13:46

Jordan.

What is the build date for your C15A? My old WIRE-5 was a June 1944 product with ring hatch, military instrument panel and surge tank mounted under the front left side, rather than the cowl.

The left upper side splash guard was a quick release design. Roughly halfway up the front edge was a punched ‘key hole’. This fitted over a swivel latch (virtually the same latch as used on the stowage bins on the rear body side stowage bins of the FAT) which was mounted, I think, on the side of the radiator shroud. There should be a small triangular hole pattern on the shroud where the circular base plate of the latch was secured.

I believe this minor change to accommodate the latch style splash guard means all rad shroud items from earlier production vehicles will interchange with the later version but you will not be able to fit the upper left side splash guard. The two lower ones inboard of the chassis stayed relatively unchanged. This left upper splash guard was a really tough bird to track down in the 1980’s. Probably a result of a very short production life and the postwar habit for all these plates to get tossed during maintenance because they were deemed a pain in the ass to have to deal with when doing routine engine maintenance. Somebody is bound to have one somewhere you can pattern though.

David

By the way. You are doing great work!