View Single Post
Old 28-07-17, 02:47

Jason.

Great start with getting some photos up about these vehicles.

I had always assumed the Defence Department would have been in charge of POW Camps in Canada, through some branch or other. Interesting that the Lethbridge Camp, which I believe was military has no department ID but shows the camp ID and a marking pattern fairly consistent with markings for home front military vehicles. The other two camp vehicle options are from 'civilian' internment camps and have Department of Labour and Mines and Energy vehicles. Maybe that was a primary breakpoint of the camps in Canada: military jurisdiction for military camps and civil jurisdiction for civil camps.

Excuse my active mind here, but if that premise holds true, as you said, CMP's may very likely form some or all of the vehicle fleets for the military camps and not so much with the civil ones.

Poked about on the web a bit and found references to the ID System for the military camps. Looks like they started out in the war as 'lettered' camps and by 1943 switched to a number system. The one list I found was rather incomplete with the ID of some camps not known at all (Whitewater being one) and three camps from the Manitoba/Northwest Ontario area missing completely.

Whitewater was a POW Work Camp where they were cutting cord wood for the civilian market. The camp was set up where it was because (a) it was very isolated - no fences or guard towers were ever built for it - and (b) it was close to a burn area that was the initial area to have good wood harvested from before the selected area from the surrounding forest were worked. It was a National Park area so the timber work had to be carefully thought out. And a new park at that, less than 10 years old. The camp had to be dismantled as soon as the war ended as well. The site and original access road are now a major park hiking trail and overnight camp.

The prisoners went on strike there for a few days. A large number of them had ordered pyjamas from the Sears Catalog and when the shipment didn't arrive as scheduled, they thought the guards had stolen them so they refused to work. The shipment arrived on the train in Dauphin a couple of days later, the prisoners were thrilled and all was OK.

David