View Single Post
Old 22-07-14, 08:11

The F15A was used extensively by Australian arty units and one of my favourite wartime pics is this attractive image at Joint Overseas Operational Training School Nelson's Bay NSW December '42. Plenty of Australian arty interest here, and the landing craft marked Ubique completes the scene. F15A is 6th Div and appears to be freshly painted in what I believe to be the high contrast disruptive scheme Vehicle Dark Green / Vehicle Light Grey specified in November '42. This scheme is rarely seen in wartime pics. Tyres look oversize to me, possibly desert tread..? Anyway it looks fabulous I reckon, would make for an excellent replica project.

Cab 12 FAT is ex-Middle East, probably 2/11 Fd Regt as this unit received a number of Chev Cab 12 FATs prior to departure for Australia in Feb 42, which appear to be the only Cab 12 FATs ever to reach Australia. They arrived in British desert scheme (Light Stone) and were subsequently reallocated and repainted, some of them evidently receiving the November '42 camo scheme also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P02216.003  Dec. 42  Joint Overseas Operational Training School (JOOTS), at Nelson's Bay NSW - C.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	66554 Name:  P03113.002 Cairns, Qld.  Probably 10th Australian Light Anti Aircraft Battery.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  27.8 KB