Thread: 18" tyres
View Single Post
Old 03-05-05, 20:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Ashley
Richard

The only tyres I have ever seen on Dingo's in this country have been the solid rubber type.

I have observed two tread patterns, the standard Dunlop Track Grip, and a very angular straight bar pattern. ECM used to have large quantities on rims from vehicles they had broken.

I dont know if you can confirm or not if these are cast directly on to the rim? If so, owners of Carriers can, I understand get their wheels re-rubbered. Can the same companies cast new wheels on to Dingo rims?
Hi Neil,

Ah ha.....those Dingo tyres are not actually solid, I have even had someone tell me that they have a spring inside, still not true! What they actually are like, are very heavy walled tyres with a thick bead spacer as used in normal tubed runflat tyres. You end up with a cavity of about 3 inches diameter. Having removed them I am talking from experience. The runflats used on them during the war, were tubed type. The "solid" one is / was known by Dunlop as RFE1.

The tyres you mention with the angular straight bar tread are remoulds done for the army, I recently had a Dingo in for rebuild with these on and the remould date was 1958. There are other makes and tread patterns to be found on Dingos, like India Super Traction with a directional tread, similar to a tractor.

So they are not moulded on to the wheel unfortunatly, if this were so the problem would be a little easier to solve, but a cavity is neccessary to cuhion the ride and I think there is a speed limit for solid tyres as well. Nothing is easy

Richard