View Single Post
Old 29-01-17, 01:08

Default Suspension - It's enough to make you cry.

Keith Hudson came down to visit over the long weekend for a holiday and to impart his knowledge on pulling apart the suspension.

I helped to run a 'Fun Run' for the Mens Resource Centre on Australia Day and worked on Friday, so it did not turn into a long frenzy of carrier restoration so we only got to tackle the suspension late on Saturday afternoon.

The bogies on my carrier were of some random scrap carrier, so I chose to tackle the bodgies of the spare carrier which is known to come from drier climes.

Our first problems arrived in taking the nuts off the axles, as the first axles started to spin. I found the big spanner and stopped the axle from turning and with the aid of a long bar, got the nuts off.

Expecting to be swinging on the sledge hammer to bash the axles out over a few hours, I could tell that Keith was almost in tears as each axle easily came out the way the they are supposed to.

With some time left, we tackled removing the springs. I must admit that this was a job I was not planning on doing just yet as after listening to all the horror stories, I was anticipating much colourful language.

So imagine my surprise when, about an hour after pulling the bogies into the shed, we had them all in pieces. The hardest part was actually removing the nuts fom the rods and we only had to cut one rod (and only then because I was impatient).

A big thanks to Keith for imparting your knowledge and manpower
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2036.JPG   IMG_2037.JPG  

"He who has the tiger by the tale, is often afraid to let go" - Confucius

Ford FGT No.9 (long suffering restoration project)
25 Pdr (Under Restoration)
No.27 Artillery Trailer (Under Restoration)
Bit and pieces of a 2 pdr AT (Looking for bits)
LP2a Carrier - 3" Mortar Trials (Restored)