Thread: Armour Dreams
View Single Post
Old 05-03-21, 21:51
GM Fox I

Now wouldn't it be interesting if some future person were to assume it's original and then come across that 'Made in Great Britain' stamp? There might be some puzzled head scratching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
If I could provide an opinion from a retired museum curator's perspective, the normal practice in museums is to discreetly scribe or stamp an indicator and a date on each non-original, reproduction part placed on an original object. For example, the initials AWM and 3-4-2009.This is regarded as essential to ensure transparency to future conservators/restorers.

In this case, virtually the entire vehicle is reproduction, but so well done that it is likely to deceive most people after it leaves the builder's hands or his family. It's the builder's choice, of course, to mark or not to mark, but for the sake of transparency, some marking or markings, be that 'Made in Great Britain', or 'Reproduction' or whatever plus a date, would be an excellent addition. No mistakes in the future, or the any possibility of misrepresentation.

I can envisage if it is not marked in some way, but has sufficient small differences to the original, that somewhere in the future, some bozo will claim it to be the sole surviving prototype/pre-production version!! (Yes, I think it is that well done).

Mike