View Single Post
Old 24-03-09, 00:22
David Gordon

Default Field trials

Took the T-16 out over the weekend to attend a WWII military vehicle rally here in Texas. This allowed me to finally do some real test drives and check a few things out that couldn't be done in the front yard at home. Tracks are still loosening up and now the brakes have settled. So I'll need to adjust the control rods for all four of the tillers. The carb is still not performing as it should be so I was keeping the carrier in the lower gears so I'd have more power on the small hills and ditches. Should be able to resolve that one once I get a rebuild kit as I know I need to replace two of the parts.

Shot below is the carrier crossing a Bailey Bridge on the property.

Nothing fancy here but the kids had control of the camera all weekend and took photos mostly of the sky and our camp. They are used to seeing the Sherman, Hellcat and Stuart tanks each year so didn't take many shots of anything else.

This one shows the original GAU canvas meant to protect the wireless set. It has a weather flap rolled up on the top which is held that way with lift-the-dot fasteners. Almost all that I've seen are shrunk like this one and won't safely stretch over the armor wing. So I'm going to use mine as a pattern and see if one of the military canvas places can produce new reproductions which fit properly. If anyone else needs one for their T-16, post me a PM and we can see what the run will cost. More people means a cheaper price for everyone.

And if you have a high speed connection, this last link is a video clip of us driving over the bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQkUzSoUBVM
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA Folding Military Bicycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'44 Orme-Evans Airborne Trailer No. 1 Mk. II
'44 Airborne 100-Gallon Water Bowser Trailer
'44 Ford T-16 Universal Carrier
'44 Jowett Cars 4.2-Inch Towed Mortar
'44 Daimler Scout Car Mark II
'45 Studebaker M29C Weasel