View Single Post
Old 01-04-04, 08:26
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Sherman M4A2 diesel engine designation

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
R.
I am pretty sure that 6046 refers to the twin engine pack and not the individual engines. 6-71 is actually number of cylinders and swept volume of one cylinder in cu.inches. The 6-71 is still around today and I have had experience with them in new earthmovers in Eighties.

Richard F
Yes, that makes sense. 71 cu.in a hole equates to the nominal 420 cu.in quoted for the engine.

All of the DDA two-stroke diesels serve to baffle the casual observer since the presence of valve gear and rockers suggests they _must_ be four strokes.

This inlet ported but exhaust valved configuration seems to be unique to DDA and I wonder why no other manufacturer ever went down this avenue. Certainly one bang a rev as opposed to every other rev made them markedly potent for their size at the time.

I wonder why they never made it over here too, I know of no on-road production application of any DDA diesel here although one prototype fire appliance did a V6 unit rear mounted, and is owned by my neighbour. Quick it is, we bottled out at an indicated 80mph having still not met the engine governor.

R.