View Single Post
Old 18-08-14, 10:21

Hi Tony, this is a great response and has gone pretty much all the way to explaining the British Army modification. Certainly when driving my T16 back from a show yesterday the engine oil cooler remains cold for quite some time, which is when the oil is being dumped back into the breather tube at full flow and then when it gets to a suitable temperature it gets hot as the thermo valve opens. You are of course quite correct that it still does flow into the breather tube but at a reduced rate and is not such a problem. I could alter the pressures again as you so expertly explained in your reply but I am of the opinion that someone with greater engineering expertise than me has decided on the pressure it is set at and sealed the PRV with a lead seal so who am I to alter it. I have managed by improving the seal on the bottom of the fuel pump manifold/housing to stem the flow of oil, and what little is finding its way down the side of the bell housing onto the floor will help stop rust! I also had a pm from another member of MLU who pointed out a memo, and I copy it here

15 April 1944.
Pamphlet (Provisional) for Battalion Introduction to T.16
Modified for 4.2" Heavy Mortar

Oil Cooler:
1. The only weakness that has come to light so far with the T.16 is the tendency for the engine oil cooler to burst when the lubricant is cold.

2. This is being corrected by a modification, but in the meantime great care must be exercised when starting the engine from cold in lower temperatures. The engine should be started and allowed to idle for a period of from 3 to 5 minutes to warm the oil, and under no circumstance will the engine be "revved up" during this period.

so thank you both very much for the input to this issue, and now its here on the forum will hopefully help other owners who may wonder why this was done.

Andrew