View Single Post
Old 06-09-16, 06:34
carrier mech

Well a little update. I have been trying to get that recoil mechanism back up on the gun to where it should be. Had two chain hoists tight enough that you could pluck the chains like a guitar, and no movement. Added some heat in certain spots and still no movement, even with the sledge and a block of oak trying to assist. I kept spraying it down with penetrating oil every time I went by it.

Managed to chain up a 5 ton jack to the back of the breech, and pumped to as hard as it goes. No luck.

Brought out the medium artillery this weekend. A Enerpac portapower with 10 ton (20,000 pound) cylinder with chain attachments. Wrapped a 7/16 chain through the trunnions and attached the cylinder to the back of the breech. Pumped her up, and suddenly it seemed like movement. Alas, it was a link on the 7/16 chain that had failed. Set it all up again and still no luck.

So yesterday I headed out to my favorite scrapyard to pick up a spare in case I have to torch off the cradle. This one is a little worse for wear, but I think it will clean up OK.

House renovations continue in earnest, so gun time is limited.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0001.jpg   DSCF0002.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 06-09-16 at 15:14.