Thread: Logging On
View Single Post
Old 15-04-08, 02:44
Dog Robber

Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know bugger all about forum setup/administration/upgrades etc. etc.

What I do know, or have experienced since January, is that almost every forum I am registered on, regardless of the provider, has been forced or convinced to upgrade their site.

In every case, let me repeat, in every case, it has been a monumental cock up. The Axis History Forum, it's English language partners and it's Scandinavian cousins were down more or less for over a month. Kuno's Deutsche Afrika-Korps forum has also had all sorts of problems.

A rather large part of the problem seemed to be what browser one used, in my case AOL. I started using Firefox and other browsers for a long time and then everyone seemed to get the "settings" right so AOL would communicate with these sites. For a while I could use AOL and everything was fine.

Now, in the last few weeks, it is going gunnysack again.

Regarding MLU, I keep losing my log in and/or I have to try to gain entrance to the forum several times before it connects. This is true on AOL, Firefox and MSN for example. As Cliff states, once you do manage to get on, moving around in the forum can sometimes take forever.

Note Well, I am not bitching about the MLU forum, it seems to be a problem for almost all of the many forums I subscribe to.

The problems, it seems to me, are causing a terrible drop in postings on a number of these forums as I gather that others like me just do not have the time today to try to log on to a forum multiple times and then when they finally do get logged on must wait sometimes from thirty seconds to up to 2 minutes when trying to move around in the various threads. Added to that is the number of times you get timed out or kicked off once you have gained access.

Not to be too redundant here, but one issue I have is that I always click the box to remember my user name and password on every forum I belong to.
It is safe to say that of the top 10 forums I belong to, every one of them refreshes itself or whatever you call it several times a week and I have to go through the whole log in process again multiple times. MLU as well as the others.

Not so much a problem here, but another aggravation is when you get access, you research a question or whatever, post an answer when you are supposedly logged in and when you send the answer, it tells you you are not logged in.

Something is "Rotten in Denmark" when it comes to these hosting sites, whether it be vbulletin or any of the other majors.

End of Rant.

Bill