View Single Post
Old 01-05-14, 03:19

Hi

I've heard stories that the town or someone went through a lot of trouble to get it there and wouldn't let it go. Maybe that's changed.

Quote:
...Lancaster KB882 was honourably retired at Dunnville, Ontario. On May 1st, 1964, the Crown Assets Disposal Corporation accepted a monetary offer from the City of Edmundston, NB for the purchase of the aircraft. Shortly after it was flown from DND 6 Repair Depot, Trenton, Ontario to Fredericton, N.B. where it waited for the Edmundston site to be completed. On July 14, 1964, Captain Joseph (Pepi) DiGiacinto, pilot; Flight Sgt Derek Miller, co-pilot; Gerry Flemming, radio operator; Captain Keith Wyatt, navigator and flight Engineer, Jim Cochrane brought KB882 in from her final flight. The crew touched down at the Edmundston Municipal Airport where she was mounted on a pedestal at St Jacques Airport in its last operational colours, (for a short while had been seen in wartime camouflage as 'NA-R' (Rabbit Stew)...
http://www.lancaster-archive.com/lanc_surv_kb882.htm

I've stopped and looked her over many times over my almost 50 years. Dad looooved to tow a Family and a Camping Trailer around the entire country when we were growing up....apparently this built our character!!

I agree that $500K is a bit much to move it.

regards
Darrell