View Single Post
Old 21-01-17, 20:08
Bluebell

Yes Doug, I remember those days of young men walking down the road with a rifle, for all the public to see. The thing is that the public has changed. We hid our firearms from them and now the public perception is that if a person is seen with a rifle, they must be up to no good.
Many of N.Z's truly good soldiers of last century developed their survival, personal discipline and independence skills from hunting in the rugged wilds of the country most likely with an ex service rifle, before joining up. It was an important part of the character of the "Kiwi" of the day.
Fortunately our firearms laws are not as draconian as yours, .....yet!
It will sadly take only 1 nutbar because politicians are politicians and a politician with integrity is an oxymoron.
I found it sadly amusing to see at W&P in the U.K. a few years ago, that the British have lost their firearms sense. They point them anywhere and at anybody because they are all deactivated.

My first rifle was presented to my father for me, before I was born.

Over here we can own rifles and shot guns on a standard firearms license.
(A license) (this I believe is what would be required to own a Boyes rifle?)

As a member of a pistol club we can own and shoot pistols under stringent rules. ("B" endosement to the license)

By process of qualification, we can obtain a "C" endorsement. This allows us to own pistols and machine guns (but never to fire either) (only the military can fire machine guns in this country)

A "D" endorsement is a license required if you wish to be a firearms dealer.

And lastly an "E" endorsement allows a person to own and fire military style semi automatics.

The above is all controlled by stringent laws, firstly by vetting and covering use, security (differs for each class), storage of ammunition etc, etc. Another aspect is that anyone contravening the law stands little chance of getting their license back, should the police cancel it.
You cannot obtain a license here for self defence, in fact any hint that that is a reason will negate the issuing of a license.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....