View Single Post
Old 03-02-19, 08:46
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

Just a quick update on what I’ve been up to since the M8 has been on its wheels.

I’ve tidied up a few more jobs on the hull. I’ve fitted the shock absorbers and tightened the torque rods. I still need to source one fixed torque rod, as one of the three I have is not right. I also still need to find a 1 ¼”-12 die nut to tidy up one of the threads on the adjustable torque rod mounts on the axle. I added a new DM-34 dynamotor to the other radio and have now fitted that to the radio tray, so that setup is good to go.

I have fitted some of the data plates to the driver’s area in the hull. One of them is slightly too wide so I need to find a sharp guillotine and shave 1mm or so of the side of the plate without bending it. Does anyone know where this small rectangular data plate showing dimensions etc goes on the hull? I have a feeling I have seen photos of this plate on the hull but I can’t locate that photo.

I still haven’t got the turret back here to the workshop so I have started work on a few other things to keep the project rolling. There always seems to be multiple small jobs on the go…

The gearbox is in pretty good shape but there is wear to the synchroniser and ring for 1st and 3rd gears. I have located these parts and they will be on the way to me shortly. The bearings seem to be in good shape but I will confirm once I have the main-shaft out. I’ll shortly start disassembling the gearbox in preparation for the arrival of the parts.

I will get the radiator dropped off to a repair firm this week for reconditioning. The exterior of it suggests it has been through a war, but I don’t know what the internal condition is like, so it will be interesting to see what they say. I will clean up the radiator fan diffusers in preparation for the radiator coming back.

I used a grease/gear oil slurry as lubricant in the pillow block but noticed that it seeped a bit of oil from the keyways. After a bit of research I used the tip about fitting a bit of cork into the keyway, and sealed it with a bit of flange sealant. We’ll see if that works. I have also started on the transfer case and will show some photos of that next week.

That’s all for today.
Attached Thumbnails
20190131_124926.jpg   20190131_124944.jpg   20190201_152449.jpg   20190130_161628.jpg   20190201_152350.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car