View Single Post
Old 07-12-19, 01:54

Actually, Bruce, it was part of a complete set out of Quebec. The Supply Unit and Sender are its mates. The complete set was $200.00 Cdn. I did not need the Receiver so gave it to Jacques Fortin to save a bit on shipping costs.

Its interesting, Bruce, in the roughly three years I have been looking for 52-Set parts, two complete sets have surfaced. This one and another about a year ago in Alberta. That one started out at $400 Cdn, jumped to $1,000 and then went dark. It might still be out there. Neither of the owners knew to identify what they had by the information on the ID tags on each component in front of them. The sets showed up on line as ‘Old Army Radio’, ‘Antique Military Radio’, or some other description. If you look on line under those types of terms, you get swamped with hits. Thousands of items pop up, covering all decades from WW2 to the present. Makes it really hard. I have come to suspect these sets, though few in numbers, are still very much out there. The trick is flushing them out.

It will be interesting to sort out a good wrinkle No. 2 Brown. Very few enamels still out there and even fewer wrinkle options. Compounding the problem is the fact ‘wrinkle’ does not seem to define a single thing, but more typically a spectrum of paints, all of which seem to show up on wartime wireless equipment sooner or later.

While I think of it, Bruce. The mounting hardware securing the Receiver, Supply Unit and Sender in this 52-Set was missing. My Remote Receiver Case has 1/4-20 hex bolts holding the Receiver in place. I am running with that for the Carriers No. 4 at the moment, but find it interesting there are no tools in the set Tool Box to accommodate hex bolts of any size. There are, however, three different sized slot head screw drivers. So, perhaps the mounting hardware was slotted, round head 1/4-20 machine screws. Access to all the screw heads would be a challenge for any of the three sized screw drivers in the tool box, as there are so many knobs, dials and fiddly bits sticking out on the front panels. How is your 52-set installed in the Carrier No. 4?

David