View Single Post
Old 12-02-20, 18:34

Default TERMINALS, Aerial, No. C1 ZA/CAN 4716

Thought I had better document this bit of information while I am researching the construction of the LEADS, Aerial 25-3/4 inches long, No. C1, that fits between the Receiver and Sender sections of the 52-Set.

On both components of the 52-Set, the terminal pins on each end of the LEADS, fit into the TERMINALS, Aerial, No. C1 mounted on the upper portion of the front panels of the Receiver and Sender units. Figures 1 and 2 in the WORKING INSTRUCTIONS for the Wireless Set No. 52 show the LEADS properly installed and are worth a close look.

“Paragraph 2.1.2 Interconnections”: comments on this LEADS assembly noting that the insulated terminal end of the LEADS is the Receiver end of the LEADS. It will be noted, this is also the end of the LEADS where the yellow ID sleeve is fitted over the LEADS. The addition of the insulation over the terminal pin sleeve at this end, along with the extra thickness of the yellow ID sleeve, probably make the LEADS less flexible at this end and the insulated terminal may not even be able to pass through the eyebolts along the top panels of the Supply Unit and Sender. I have yet to see a real LEADS to know for certain, but the comments in the manual suggest this is quite possible. The LEADS come off the TERMINALS, Aerial assembly on the Receiver in a large gentle clockwise curve before heading through the partition holes and eyebolts. At the Sender end of the 52-Set, the LEADS feed out the last eyebolt and angle at a “10 - 4” line, straight into the TERMINALS, Aerial.

The insulation on the Receiver end of the LEADS puzzled me at first, until I realized the LEADS is not a modern coax cable. It is a classic single conductor cable and the pin terminals at each end are one-piece items. Once the pin terminals are soldered on, they become charged when the 52-Set is in use. No big deal at all at the Sender as no controls come close to the TERMINALS. Aerial to put the Operators pinkies at risk. It is a different matter at the Receiver end of the LEADS.

On the Receiver, the TERMINALS, Aerial is fitted just to the right of the FREQ. ADJ. dial, right where an Operator’s fingers would have a really good chance of making contact if using the FREQ ADJ.

I mentioned above that the LEADS comes out of the eyebolt on the Sender and heads straight towards the TERMINALS, Aerial assembly in a “10 -4” line, if one is looking at the face of a clock, centered over the TERMINALS Aerial. The slot in the TERMINALS, Aerial must also be turned to line up in a “10 – 4” orientation for this connection to be made. Something to be aware of.

The attached photos show in order:

A: Remote Receiver sitting at "12 - 6" (To be adjusted.)
B: Main Set Receiver at “11 – 5” (to be adjusted.)
C: Spare Parts Receiver at a correct “10 – 4” position.
D: Sender slightly beyond “12 – 6”. (To be adjusted.)
E: This is a reference view of the rear mounting on the receivers for the TERMINALS, Aerial. As you can see, it also serves as the mounting for the right side retaining clip for the ARRESTORS, Protecting, Gas Gap.

David
Attached Thumbnails
TERMINALS, Aerial, No. C1 ZA:CAN 4716 a.JPG   TERMINALS, Aerial, No. C1  ZA:CAN 4716 b.JPG   TERMINALS, Aerial, No. C1  ZA:CAN 4716 c.JPG   TERMINALS, Aerial, No. C1  ZA:CAN 4715 d.JPG   TERMINALS, Aerial, No. C1  ZA:CAN 4716 e.JPG