View Single Post
Old 12-04-20, 17:35

Default PLATES, Stop, No. 1 ZA 14522

I was sitting staring at the Sender this morning with a fresh mug of tea, when I noticed a detail about these PLATES I had missed in my earlier Post #274 regarding them. Not that what I noticed provided any answers to the mystery already identified. It just adds to it.

As you will notice in the first photo attached, all five of the PLATES, Stop, No. 1 fitted to the Sender panel are dimensionally identical to each other. Some look a bit wider but that is just dirt accumulation on, and around them. What I did not notice earlier, however, was that the spacing, centre-to-centre for the rivet and set screw on the lone PLATES for the PA TUNE Dial, is a lot shorter than the other four plates to its left.

The PA TUNE PLATES has a centre-to-centre mounting space for its rivet and set screw of 9/16 inch. The other four are all 1 inch centre to centre for the same measurement.

I checked the measurement on the two PLATES on the 52-Set Receiver and, as shown in Photo 2, they are both showing the wider (1 inch) centre-to-centre distance.

Now my curiosity is really peaked! Not only do I not understand why only one PLATES was used for the PA TUNE Dial, with installation for a second PLATES partially abandoned, but now I would love to understand why a different hardware mounting pattern was used for the one lone PA TUNE PLATES.

This is probably boring as hell detail for most of you, but with so little documentation about the design and production of the 52-Set having survived from the Canadian Marconi Company, I thought noting these detail bits here at least preserves the information, and if none of us can figure it all out now, perhaps somebody down the road will.

David
Attached Thumbnails
PLATES, Stop, No. 1 ZA 14522 1.JPG   PLATES, Stop, No. 1 ZA 14522  2.JPG