View Single Post
Old 27-10-22, 09:18
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
$35 on an almost un-obtainium item seems reasonable to me.
What do you think a machine shop would charge to make you one?
BTW, Taylor Tool is the place to go here in Ontario Canada for such an odd item.
G'day Chris,

Considering what you mentioned about a shop charge and it being un-obtainium I just spent less than $35 on getting what is most likely the same bolt that the UK and US suppliers would have sent me. Plus then add the cost of freight. The supplier in China did reply - the UK has not replied yet and the US supplier stated that they would not sell "to your facility". I think that referred to that they would not post overseas to Australia.

The price from China included postage. The final currency was $32 Australian dollars all up - not in US dollars, so I am further in front - well fingers crossed. Now the contest starts between the tap and die bought from Melbourne here in Australia delivered Australia Post mail service and the bolts sourced from a mob located somewhere in China. I have about the same chance of receiving the items from either supplier. Australia Post even gets the chance for the final run home for the China sourced product. Australia Post sure ain't what it used to be!

The biggest irony is that where I live used to be the world innovators of agricultural machinery for the sugar cane industry. Right here in the district they made them from scratch - from drawing board, manufacture from raw materials, to showroom floor. Now even something like getting a wheel brake cylinder sleeved gets sent out of the district by the local clutch and brake people. It is very sad!

Kind regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 27-10-22 at 09:30.