View Single Post
Old 30-11-22, 00:28

Default Thanks Joe for the pics....

Now that I have saved everything in a new folder I have some questions?comments....

I believe that Yes there may have been a requirements for all trucks to look like trucks and most CMP had roof lights added...... so it would look like a truck.

Now has a restored vehicle, at least in Ontario and not used commercially it can be made to comply to the lighting supplied at time of manufacture.... however it may not be very safe t drive after sun set as the original lights are not really that visible.......

Also nothing new with the make shift "galvanized roof stays"..... they served a purpose and often seen on long living CMPs in Australia where they used a small steel cable to the same end....... that is to keep the cab together and keep the roof from flapping in the breeze at speed.....

Now the hasty design (British influenced) called for a trapezoid shaped cab/roof design that was held rigid by a back wall bolted to the floor and the roof upper section bolted to the windshield support with a wooden skelton frame...... wood dried up, the screws became loose and ....voila ,,, a flapping roof section that need to be held down....so a rigid pipe of r a steel cable resolved the problem quite well. The whole cab design was typical of the wooden vehicle frame of the period, Add to this rough road driving and the habitual boarding process of the occupant who very gingerly hoisted themselves aboard by putting most of their body weight on the fully open poorly hinged door......... then slamming it shut. So the door sagged and the rear cab wall was stretched and the roof wooden connection too the rigid windshield wooden link failed...... hihihi..... and some times the door latch would not keep the door closed as the door cab opening got longer and the latch protruding device was lengthened with a brazed extension to allow it to latch....... all to be restored later by use collectors.

Alex...... your comments are very appropriate as I do not recall ever seeing a cab 11 with ou the proverbial Chevy wooven grill......... and I do have some cab 12 wooven grills as well........always explained it has part shortages and the rush to move vehicles off the plant floor......I beleive the same things happened to Fords with GM axles...... I am also aware of an very very early cab 11 CGT unrestored vehicle with particularly weird GM heavy duty cast rear and front axles..... not to mention the odd Ford GS with a GM front axle cast mixed to rear Ford axle other version and Ford GS with two GM late version GM axles. It seemed that keeping the production line going was top priority. Of course we can't discount later field repairs with mix parts as they were available...... confusing to say the least.

Now if we could only see the data plates of the second cab 11 from Ponteix...

Now as to the key ignition mentioned by Alex.......... what is the prevailing story....... is it that all early models had keys..... and that became cumbersome in the service so the key was replaced my a funny little chromed device that was permanently installed in the key slot???? any idea when that changed occurred????..... as in only seen keys on cab 11 with no vents???

Puzzling ........ must check my photos of earlier dash set up on C8......

One puzzling question, then I am out of here for supper.....
I tried to make a copy of the link you attached for the detailed production info by David but keep hitting the proverbial post smack between the yes....

How do I save a copy for reference in my hard drive????

It's been fun now for a beer.

BobC
Canada