View Single Post
Old 13-10-14, 22:49
[user name reset]

Many thanks for that advice Ian. I will see them today.

So far I am prepared to say the Protec Fleet Khaki Green No 3 is a near exact match with the FGT and the NOS spares I have.

I am nearly certain this is the Colour Bob Mosley researched and is responsible for .

My dilemma gets more dilemmarish though . My Stuart was painted British Green No 13 when manufactured for commonwealth lend lease export. ( That green has been given a variety of names however the British standard only assigns numbers to them.)

The difficulty is that it is a US version of that colour. I came across a similar difficulty when doing the P-40. On that project paint was taken from the lap joints and other places on the airframes original skins, where a near original colour was present. The paint did not match any of the Australian or british standards. The original Manufacturer was contacted ( DuPont USA) colour codes, as specified in the contracts were obtained along with paint chips and they still did not match . It seems that Curtiss , the Boing of its day, in the heat of war mobilisation, made their own shades.
In the end Dulux Australia's laboratories used their technology to devise a near perfect match.

I dread the story for the Stuart will be the same. With the P-40 it was possible to take the wing skins into the lab.... not so easy with a ton of Armour plate.

Last edited by Mrs Vampire; 14-10-14 at 00:56.